I don’t really like Modern Warfare, but somehow it’s the only game I’ve been playing
cre: I don’t really like Modern Warfare, but somehow it’s the only game I’ve been playing
My complicated feelings about Modern Warfare, or how I spent the holidays playing a Call of Duty game that I don’t even like.
My professional opinion on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is well documented. I reviewed the multiplayer portion and felt it was a sticky mix of authentic and tactical design inspirations mired in brand expectations. Usually that would be the end of the story.
Review requirements aside, a game that left me as frustrated as Modern Warfare would have simply been ignored as I moved on. That’s not to say I don’t like imperfect games; I played PUBG more when it was a janky, broken game than when it came out of Early Access. Many of the games and series that I love are full of problems, but they remain favorites nonetheless. Whether it’s innovative mechanics, revolutionary design, a story that stuck with me, something usually gets me hooked.
There were things I liked about Modern Warfare, but not enough to keep me going. So I stopped playing – for a while.
In the days leading up to the holidays and during the break, I mostly played Modern Warfare. I am now less than ten levels away from completely completing the Battle Pass. Completed every mission in the hilarious co-op mode. I nearly maxed out my seasonal rank and even spent money on cosmetic items in the store. I am, in so many words, a committed Call of Duty player. This revelation left me as surprised as you are probably reading this, so let me explain.

My time with Modern Warfare was an attempt to squeeze as many fun moments as possible out of a fundamentally flawed experience. What kept me coming back was definitely the gunplay and the ability to dig deep and create custom loadouts from the various weapon parts on offer.
It became the game volume. I’ve spent hours upgrading different weapons to create custom variants based on silly ideas and a desire to recreate weapons from movies and other games. If it was doable, I probably gave it a try, although I knew none of them were competitive with their counterparts in this class. It didn’t matter. I was having fun playing my little Lego gun minigame as I tried to ignore the rest of what frustrated me about Modern Warfare.
But in Modern Warfare’s unforgiving multiplayer gameplay, you could only suffer off-meta experiences for so long before you got worse. So I decided to switch to Spec Ops.
Sure, I knew the infinitely spawning enemies, shattered objectives, Juggernaut, and explosive spam would make it hard to have fun there, but I was so determined to crack that mode that it’s become a challenge for himself. How can I clear these hilarious broken missions without resorting to blatant glitches? And that’s what I did. All of them, including post-launch additions.
In fact, I’ve become so well versed in a few of them that I’ve helped other lost souls through them. As long as everyone followed all my instructions, chose the exact weapons and ammo I specified, we would triumph, and I would later be overwhelmed with gratitude when they finally saw that flashing green icon next to the operator they had given up all hope of unlocking.
There is this undeniable sensation that you feel for having overcome such high obstacles against you. Spec Ops, for its myriad glitches, turned out to be a decent XP farm and a good time. Those two are crucial to climbing through the Battle Pass tiers and climbing through the fucking tiers I have. When this adventure started, I rejected the idea of buying the pass, opting instead to earn the free content and move on.
I knew I wouldn’t reach level 100 by February. What I wanted – the two new weapons – were also relatively doable at levels 15 and 31, so there was little incentive for me to progress beyond that. But all the time spent ferrying Spec Ops hopes across the lake of broken game modes, and my own multiplayer adventures took me somewhere in the 50s. That’s when I decided, fuck it, I get the $24 package that comes with 20 level skips.

I had some money left in my Battlenet account (probably for Destiny Silver), so I really only paid $5. And that’s what I did, instantly climbing to level 70 or something. A few more sessions and a two-level progression weekend pushed me into the 90s, where I am now. There’s just over a month left on that pass; plenty of time to clear the remaining levels.
I’ve never completed a single Battle Pass in any game I’ve played. The time commitment is such that I would only have to play this game if I want to have any real chance of getting even 50% of the way there. For my first full pass in a Call of Duty game, and one that I don’t really like, was certainly eye-opening.
Modern Warfare was also the first game to break me when it comes to spending tat money in-game. but I’ve always scoffed at the idea of character skins over $20 and such common items in game stores today. Why would I spend so much on an in-game 3D model that I wouldn’t even see most of the time, when I could buy a whole new game to play? This rationale was usually enough to curb any momentary error in judgment that would cause me to pull the trigger.
As I’ve now realized, that value argument was never a strong enough deterrent, it was just that no game knew how to get to me yet. Modern Warfare, to my amazement, was it.

Infinity Ward cracked my brain code. The Modern Warfare store offers your typical Operator (character) skins for around $20, and various other items for cheaper – but often overpriced – prices. What got me, though, were the damn weapon blueprints. In Modern Warfare, a blueprint is essentially a weapon configuration. Pick a sight, barrel, stock, underbarrel, etc., save the build, and you have a blueprint.
Due to the large number of options available to you for a given weapon, it’s normal to create multiple blueprints for the same weapon, each geared towards a defined playstyle. That’s all well and good, but what I didn’t count on was custom-made components for sale as part of unique authored blueprints. Functionally, the store’s weapon blueprints are made of the exact same parts you have access to in-game. They’re just as effective, but they’re entirely new designs!
Two or three of these custom components are enough to dramatically change the look of a weapon, and all of a sudden you’re left with what looks like a new weapon. It’s a step above the usual gun skins; they are essentially entirely new 3D models tickling gun fantasies. The system is also fair, as these aren’t stat-altering weapons, so you can feel good about your purchase.
Given my depth in this part of the game, it didn’t take much to buy my first blueprint, and a few others since. So here I am with a game that I don’t particularly like, a game that I have a hard time recommending, which kind of forced me to spend about forty hours playing it. All just so I can play with the Lego gun.
source: gameplaytrick.com -
from gameplaytrick.com https://ift.tt/PD4zfK7
via gameplaytrick.com
Comments
Post a Comment